Sunday, December 26, 2010

Catching Up...

We survived the first semester of the school year already!  I'm not sure if it's more like a marathon or an obstacle course, but it has been so nice to have a week home with the family and one more with the kids home coming up!  We have been listening to books on CD on the trips to/from school.  It makes for peaceful rides, make the time fly, and the kids get really into the characters.  They ask questions about what certain words mean, so I know they are listening carefully!  We have been listening to a bunch of Beverly Cleary books.  We started with one about the neighborhood dog, then Henry Huggins, and on through the other books in the series.  It reminds me of my childhood -playing outside for hours and coming up with all sorts of fun activities with the neighborhood kids.

Luke wrapped up a great t-ball season in November.  He learned so much and still loves to practice all of the time.  Ben started his soccer season in October and is really getting into it this season!  He has scored 3 goals so far this season.  He has a friend in 5th grade that he plays with at gym class at school.  I think he, along with the gym coach have been a great influence in motivating Ben to put effort into the sports.  Luke still plays on the sidelines for soccer, since he missed the age cut off this season.   He still manages to wear us and himself out on the sidelines though! 

Both boys have had a really good semester at their schools.  This is Luke's first year having 2 days a week of me all to himself while Ben is at school.  It's been nice to have that bonding time that we haven't been able to have before.  It's always been both kids home and sharing my time.  We have played a ton of baseball, done some work on our letters and words learning, and played a bunch of board games.

Not too long ago, I took Ben on his first solo bike ride (not in the kid cart) to Taylor Park.  It was right before Thanksgiving - a rare day that Luke had school and Ben didn't.  We rode about 7 miles round trip!  I was really proud of him for going so far!  Now I just have to get up the courage to take both of them for those long rides.  It's just scary hoping both make it across the roads OK and use good judgement.  In the cart, at least I could keep track of them!  Hard to relinquish that comfort zone for me!

No comments: